So I picked up yarn and needles to cast on for Ried from the latest issue of Knitty. First I have to say for those of you who are single knitters please just be happy that you don't have a husband/partner/boyfriend/girlfriend or whatever complaining about every freaking yarn/knitting purchase you make! Look at that purchase guess how much it cost? guess! UNDER 40 FREAKING DOLLARS!!!!! Am I nuts or is that a great buy? Why then was my husband complaining about this purchase? This is 6 skeins of discontinued fine cotton. All the lady had to say was discontinued and I snatched them up! Then of course there is a cute picture of me and Mr. Jake.
Monday, May 29, 2006
Friday, May 26, 2006
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Now the gratification.
On Mother's Day my husband built a small vegetable garden box for me and we trudged down to home depot to buy compost, soil and seeds. Mind you I have never planted anything without the guidance of my mother. Every day Riley and I have been checking the progress. Check it out! Isn't it lovely? And then of course I have cute family pics because who could resist right?
Monday, May 22, 2006
Saturday, May 20, 2006
Jake is getting so big (well he started out that way). He is now pulling himself up to a standing position. I love that I now get to stay home in the am with the kids. I am pretty tired because I am now working late but it is great to stay home with them. And we have extra money! We have paid off so many bills this month it feels so good!
Now for progress.
I joined the Bazaar Sock KAL with sew.crafty (see sidebar). I cast on earlier this week with the provisional method called for in the pattern and for some reason mine was just coming out all loose and when I did the short row toe and went to pick up those provisional stitches they were all loose and holey and looked like crapola extremo! So I started over. Tried fumbling with it again then just decided on a crocet cast on and I am MUCH happier with the result. Below is where I was yesterday. I am now nearing the end of the toe and I will be picking up my stitches soon.
Saturday, May 13, 2006
About a month ago his girlfriend came over saying he beat her up and wanted to use the phone. Didn't call the cops. I did when she left. Cops come. She is up there with him they don't come down. Cops kick in the door. Come to find out the GF has a restraining order against him. She retracts that he beat her up and said she caught him with another girl and was mad. NO ONE GOES TO FUCKING JAIL!!!!!!!!! Why????????? (that is the day the officer told us about his activity and to keep a log)
So he has been laying low but there has been some activity. The GF leaves in his van. I log it and she comes back a few minutes later. I go outside and she is on her hands and knees getting something from under the van. Ok seriously how many of you grab random things from under your vehicles when you get out of them?
So I am telling my husband what I see and writing it down and this fuck face comes out and is like "what! What do you want" so I go outside and tell him what I am doing. Then I am a "fat fuck" nice! I know I am fat just point it out you crack head. Then my husband comes out of course. Good OLE big verbal straight from the show cops fight.
Then this is the best part. Old granny 80 nice southern gal the major enabler tells us that she is trying to work with him and that we need to mind our own business. What the fuck lady! I have two kids. I LIVE IN THIS FUCKING HOUSE! And he was like "I was here first" ok are you 5? I pay a mortgage what do you do? So then he "threatens" us and I called the cops I was done.
What does that do? Oh nothing. They tell me next time to just nod when he does stuff like that. I HAVE EVERY FUCKING RIGHT TO LOOK OUT MY WINDOW! I have every right to be a nosy neighbor.
So when you have a drug dealer living next door you can't do shit. Oh wait they did tell us to still document EVERYTHING and bring it to the precinct and give it to a drug detective and maybe just maybe they will set up a sting......maybe. Or what you can do is look for other violations like lots of cars in the yard or something stupid like that.
Man I want to get this guy!
Friday, May 12, 2006
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
So I work in the composition/design department for a printing company. My supervisor who runs basically all of production up here and down in the pressroom asked if I would like to work the second shift if they started it. I JUMPED at the chance. It would mean I would get to stay home with the kids during the day and work when no one was around to bother me and I can work faster that way. So my husband went to his work to see if he could work early so I could work late, thus saving on childcare. My husband changed his schedule (which was a big deal) we told our sitter and paid her for her time and I started working my new shift on Monday.
I am supposed to come in at 1pm and work until my work is done or 8 hours. So I mentioned that until I found someone to come in those few hours when my husband and I will both be working that I would be coming in when he got home roughly 3pm.
Well the head honcho above my boss is FREAKING OUT! He said he never approved me to even come in at 1pm! He said 10 or 11 at the LATEST! I told him that my boss said that they talked about it and everything was A-OK! UGH! This is not freaking funny!
First, we totally adjusted our life which was working out (other than I missed the kids during the day) to go to this new schedule (which I LOVE)
Second, someone lied to me.....not cool!
Third, do you know how hard it is to find someone who wants to come to your house to watch two kids for just 3 hours at the most for $8 to $10 an hour? very hard.
All of my co-workers agree that they are all fine with it. Even my immediate supervisor. I also talked to my clients and they are fine with it too. So what is the big deal?
I even told the head honcho that ummmm on monday I was only here for 5 hours, yesterday for 7 and I am not behind in my work AND I even did some work for a co-worker. WTF??????????
Sunday, May 07, 2006
Saturday, May 06, 2006
Friday, May 05, 2006
Tuesday, May 02, 2006
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? my absolute favorite thus far is Rowan Cashsoft. I like any type of soft wool or wool blend. LOVE cottons. Basically any natural fiber I like. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? fun fir type of stuff or acrylicy fringy stuff. Stuff with metallicy fibers that are all crazy like. I am not a HUGE fan of acrylic. I notice more and more I am becoming a snob when it comes to yarn.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have an art bin type of zip up case for some and some are in a zippered bag and the others just float around my knitting bag.
3. How long have you been knitting? about 2 years Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? intermediate
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? See Sidebar ------->
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) lavender, vanilla, light flowery scents.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? YES! Favorite candy? Anything that is chocolate and peanut butter and NOT Nestle. Nestle is the devil.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I like to sew. I am interested in crochet. I also like to garden. I have started messing around with making stitch markers out of sculpey. Do you spin? I am learning how to use a drop spindle.
8. What kind of music do you like? Pearl Jam, Owl & Thistle, Norah Jones, Metallica Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? yes9. What's your favorite color? Orange and Aphid green. I love blue and orange together. Any colors you just can't stand? nope
10. What is your family situation? I live in a home that I own with my husband and our two children who will be 3 and one this summer. Do you have any pets? Yes we have two black labs a boy and a girl
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? yes to all except poncho I think I look fat in them. I am heavy and I am well endowed in the chest region so I don't think poncho's look good on me for those reasons. Just like if I wear a scarf it needs to be wide otherwise a small scarf looks even smaller next to my chest.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Right now I really love socks. I love making socks for my toddler they knit up so fast.
13. What are you knitting right now? Suprisingly a pair of socks!
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? YES!!!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Circular
Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? addys I also use bamboo a lot
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No hope to have one soon.
17. How did you learn to knit? I was taught at nine then re-taught myself from a book and online these past two years.
18. How old is your oldest UFO? 4 months or so. I started Clapotis and put it down to do other things.
19. What is your favorite holiday? Don't really have one. I like the fourth of july. Christmas is fun. I usually LOVE easter.
20. Is there anything that you collect? Ladybugs and yarn
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? Big Girl Knits, One Skein, any book on socks. I really really really want a book on norwegian knitting.
What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? none
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I am going to try my hand at fair isle soon. Some Norwegian type pattern.
23. Are you a sock knitter? YES! What are your foot measurements? size 8 1/2 to 9 womens.
24. When is your birthday? June 29th