Wednesday, December 12, 2007

One Down

I thought I wasn't going to do a lot of knitting for christmas this year because I thought I had knit all I could for people in years past but I forgot about DOILYS!

This one is for my mother-in-law. I attempted this one a few years ago and I used too large of thread with too small of needles and it just didn't turn out right. Now that I am a more experienced knitter I am proud to give this as a gift.

It only took me a few days so I think I will make a few more as gifts. I know my mother and grandmother would love one.

Oh I should say where I got the pattern ;) This is from the FIrst Book of Modern Lace Knitting. It is the large doily from the Valentine Design. The only modifications I made besides picking thread and needles in the guage I wanted to knit in was changing the crochet edging. The edging calles for a lot of chains which makes more loops on the end. (something like 3st 9ch twice then 3 st 7 ch twice all the way around). I lessened it considerably (3st, 3hdc, 3st, 3ch 1dc into 3 loops, 3ch all the way around) and I am very happy with the outcome.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Pretty!! I can't help but think that would make a lovely lace shawl as well.

I've never made a doily.. perhaps I should try it someday :)

affectioknitter said...

Very pretty doilies - and the picture of the children with Santa is so cute...