Friday, March 07, 2008

Remembering Rick

The funeral yesterday was very nice. PACKED! It was so obvious how loved Rick was. The only time I have seen so many people at church is during Christmas eve mass. If you didn't get there in time you literally had to stand on the side aisles or in the back with the other crowds of people.

The service was nice. Rick's brother and nephew got up to say a few words and were very eloquent. The priest was also somber and yet because he knew Rick very personable about him and was able to make a few jokes.

After the funeral there was a reception which at first you could barely walk through the auditorium with all the people there. It is amazing to see how many people were affected by one single person. People mingled for a while and then a few people got up to say more words about Rick. Then some of his friends and his brother in law had a jam session for a while. After that his band LeRoy Bell got up to play. It was so surreal because usually Rick would be up there playing with all these people and last night he was not. Also it was wonderful because everyone was enjoying what Rick really loved and I think he wants it that way.

Rick's nephew during the funeral has this to say about Rick quoting the movie Braveheart when William Wallace says "Every man dies. Not every man really lives." He said Rick really lived.

I cried the whole way home and first I felt so guilty for feeling so sad and actually crying because there are soooooo many more people out there who REALLY knew Rick well much better than I ever did and loved him so much. Personally I can count on one hand the amount of times I remember speaking with him or being where he was. Yet, he has known me my whole life as the Novito family has. I guess I really mourn for them. For my mom's best friend (Rick's sister). For all the people who never got to meet Rick. Really I am so sad because he was so talented. Yes extremely talented musically but obviously also in life. Seeing all the people who loved him. That takes a life talent. Why people leave this earth before we think they are ready we will never know, that is in God's hands. Rick did teach me a valuable lesson yesterday and I will keep that with me forever.

The lesson is this: Cherish your family at every second. Be a wonderful and caring friend to all you know. Remember to be humble, and lastly always live as a peaceful person. If you do these things you will know how Rick lived and like Rick's nephew said Rick really lived. I can only hope to really live as Rick did.

1 comment:

Pam Radmacher said...

I am so sorry for your loss and the loss of Rick's Family. Such a sad and tragic loss.
Many hugs to you my dear friend....