Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Goodbye Great Grandma

This week has been a little rough for me. Today my 102 year old great grandmother passed away. She was so healthy and till the moment of her death was as lucid as she was 20 years ago. Her body just finally quit and she could not longer eat and it took about half a week for her to finally pass.

I did get to call her and tell her how much I completely adored her and that I will miss her terribly. I don't know if I have mentioned this here but my daughter Riley is named after my great grandmother. Since my Riley's birth she has just been so honored to have a namesake.

I have so many fond memories of time spent with her growing up. What I will remember most is every time I saw her she would tell me how proud of me she was and what a beautiful girl I was (when I was younger) then to the woman I was becoming then to the woman I was. Even when I came home from college with an eyebrow ring or after I had gained 50 pounds after having Riley and didn't necessarily feel very beautiful. What mattered most is that it was completely sincere every time.

I feel very fortunate to be 31 and mourning the death of my great grandmother instead of possibly not knowing this amazing person at all. I went through some pictures and I will post a few later this week.

2 comments:

affectioknit said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Peace be with you and your family...

mildawg said...

I'm very sorry. Best wishes.