Sunday, January 10, 2010

Back to the Knitting

Now that the holidays are over and it is still chilly or in my case rainy enough to stay warm inside I have been knitting quite a bit during the past week.

I have another sweater in the works made from gorgeous Divine yarn that I got on an insane blow out sale. I believe it normally retails at $14/ball and I got it for just over $3/ball at work. The yarn is so pretty and I can tell it will drape really nicely when I am done. The pattern is Braided Pullover from Interweave Knits Fall 2008. I just need to finish one sleeve a neck band and finishing work. However, a knit along caught my eye and I moved on to my Kauni Stole.


I have never worked with Kauni but pondered over many colors a good number of times. The Little Knits group on Ravelry is having a Kauni K/CAL through January and February and I thought this would be a good excuse to buy more yarn, I mean um... opportunity to work with Kauni. I decided on Diagonale by Arlene's World of Lace. I think I have one red shirt which I don't even like anymore in my wardrobe. I love the color red so why isn't there more in my wardrobe? I figured a nice red hued stole would be nice addition. I love triangular shawls but I did not see any that I liked with self striping yarn. I also didn't want my pattern to get lost in the striping of the yarn. This color EM fits what I was looking for.


Now because I don't have enough projects going I wanted to make my mom a thank you gift for picking up the kids two days a week and watching them until I get off of work. Most times it is after dinner so my children are fed as well. I know it is my mother, she loves spending time with her grandchildren, and I never have to actually give her a gift to thank her. With that said I know she will love this and I am enjoying knitting it. Plus I am probably never going to get around to knitting her that sweater she has been hinting at. Win win right?


This is Dream in Color Starry. Awesome yarn! There are silver threads spun into the yarn. It isn't itchy at all like I would assume. The pattern is the Vertical Drop Stitch Shawl made in the scarf size. Someone had come into the shop a few months ago and she was working on this pattern with Malabrigo Lace and I immediately had to queue it on Ravelry when I got home. This is my progress from just last night. The pattern is very easy to memorize and goes quickly. I bought a skein of Malabrigo Lace yesterday to make the same scarf for my grandmother.

This ends up being a rather wide scarf when using the sock yarn so I am wondering if one skein will be enough. My mom doesn't really care for garments being up around her neck though so she might just wear this around the back of her neck. I think what I am going to do is see where I am after this skein and it should be long enough to wrap around the neck and hold with a shawl pin like this one. I have been wanting to practice making shawl pins anyway and again another great excuse. :)

These projects should keep me pretty busy through winter. I do have my Mariah cardigan that has been hibernating because the hood was ended up being WAY too small and I didn't sew the zipper in correctly due to impatience. I saw this sweater in person and I love the idea so I am going to rip back the hood and do the fold over collar. After I finish the three projects above this will be my next knitting venture.

And now for the cute shot.

3 comments:

Chasing bugs to the Max said...

SARA...boo hoo....Jakey looks so grown up! Love him, but I want them to stay little a little bit longer.

Your knitting is gorgeous as always!

Chasing bugs to the Max said...

OMGosh...I spelled one of my best friends names wrong....so sorry. I know better.

mildawg said...

I am sure your mom will love it!