Sunday, January 24, 2010

Being a tourist in my own city.

Today we were Seattle tourists. I forget how much fun it is to actually do touristy things where you live and work. Well, technically we don't "live" in the city of Seattle but still it is my town. On this overcast and what turned into a rainy day we hit the Seattle Aquarium with some old friends.




The aquarium had a rather large renovation done a few years ago. This huge tank was one of them. I should have taken a step (or twenty) back and gotten a picture of the entire wall. The glass front of this tank is 20 feet high 40 feet long and 12.5 inches thick and weighs 50,000 pounds! WOW!


There is a whole area where children can touch starfish, and other sea creatures. This is the favorite part of the aquarium for our children.


Here I am dorking it up in front of a wooden cutout of a shark. Hey you need pictures of yourself in front of things when you are a tourist right?


Now for a little sharing time. I found this wood carving while at the aquarium. This is Northwest Coast Native American artwork. I am in love with anything of this style. Here is a good link that shows off some beautiful art. To share further Bill Ried, who was a phenomenal contemporary Haida artist, is one of my favorites. He was so incredibly talented and makes beautiful art. I also have a tattoo of a NW Coast Orca on my lower back.

I have always been somewhat of a history buff and learning the history of the area in which I was born and raised is fascinating. So just a reminder to take some time and tour your town. :)

4 comments:

affectioknit said...

Oh what FUN!

Pam said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. I have been wanting to go to the Aquarium for awhile now. Oh and look how skinny you are!!! ;)

mildawg said...

Were the lines long? I suppose that only really matters in the summer...
I love the touching tidepools! And the jellyfish arch! Best parts of the aquarium.

nomadcraftsetc said...

Wow your kiddos are getting so big!
I miss doing the touristy thing in Seattle! Looks like you guys had so much fun!