Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dirt

Today I turned this...

into this...


I know the orange temporary fence is very very ugly. However, if I want my dogs to not dig in a dirt wonderland I have to set this up.

There is something so meditative about working with dirt. Having a radio outside would have been entertaining. I am glad I didn't though. It was nice just being outside with my thoughts, the occasional question from my children, the dogs wanting me to throw the ball and my worms.

I can't even begin to tell you how many worms we have in our garden. I checked a square foot of space just a a few inches down and found more than a handful of huge worms. I love worms I always have. They are so helpful! Look at this dirt.



The dirt is so healthy and amazing. Late last summer we had a load of dirt dumped for the front garden and for potting plants. We took the excess and laid it out where we wanted our garden to be this year. In the fall I took a bunch of cardboard boxes (you can see them to the side of the garden) and laid them out over what we had cleared out. I basically only had to weed a little bit around the edges and turn the earth. Thankfully I kept this ugly plastic garden edger. Eventually I will line it with bricks or larger stones and concrete pieces. I am always finding those around our yard.

So this summer we will be enjoying sweet corn, sweet carrots, green onion, spinach, green beans, cucumber. I also potted rosemary, chives, basil, oregano, and cilantro. Tomorrow the tomatoes, pepperoncinis, cantelope, watermelon, peppers, and pumpkins get put in start containers. Then I need to find a place to put my sunflowers.

The next installment will be my chicken coop. Until then remember to thank God for the worms.

3 comments:

mildawg said...

Hey! Today I dug up a bunch of sod and helped the family plant trees. Hooray for playing in the dirt!
(I'm dead-tired, though...)

Now In Pre-Launch said...

Wow! You have loads of very delicious foods come summer. I'm not into gardening, so sad to say, what I can do is simply buy fresh veggies from the market. :-)

affectioknit said...

awesome garden!