Monday, January 17, 2011

On Diversity

Today as I stay home with my children I want them to know why we are home. I am happy that they learn about Martin Luther King Jr. in school. Jake said to me last week "Mommy it makes me sad when people I love die." When I asked him who died that he loved his answer was "Jesus and Martin Luther King Jr." I love the reflections of a 5 year old.

I got this link from a friend. You can watch the "I Have a Dream" speech. It has been quite a long time since I saw it myself. The kids and I are going to watch it together. Even though racism unfortunately is still alive I can take comfort in knowing that my husband and I raise our children to love and respect all cultures and races. I feel fortunate to live in a community where they are surrounded by people from all walks of life. I can only pray that they learn what we are teaching and continue what they learn throughout their lives. Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase. Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: