Friday, February 10, 2012

Getting My Craft On!

Paul got me a tablet book reader for Christmas. It has already seen a lot of use. Now I am not known as being careful. I am quite the opposite and horribly clumsy. I am terrified I am going to ruin this thing. I went to Barnes and Noble today hoping that there would be a Nook cover that might fit mine. Unfortunately they are a different size and the cheapest one being $20 was not that attractive. When I got home I did a search online to see if there were any I could order which again were boring and cost more than I wanted to spend. After a few minutes I thought, "I know I can make this myself". Another search and a few minutes later I found a couple of cute ideas. It is so easy!

First find a book you don't care about and remove the inside leaving the cover and spine. I found this book at a thrift store around the corner for $2. The win win about this is that the thrift store is a Christian non profit and all of the proceeds go to a local recovery center. I also dropped off some clothes that I had in my trunk forever.



I had all of the fabric on hand. I used upholstery fabric for the outside. I laid the book cover out and cut the fabric one inch larger all the way around. Then I used spray adhesive and sprayed the cover and the wrong side of the fabric and pressed the cover onto the fabric. After doing that I sprayed the inside and folded the fabric over neatly.



I then took a piece of contrasting fabric and laid it over the inside of the spine affixing the same way as before and folding the top and bottom edges under.



For the inside I cut two pieces of cardboard just smaller than the inside covers and covered them in fabric the same way.



On the right side I attached elastic around the corners to hold the tablet. I sort of wrapped it around like you would on a present and glued this on with all purpose craft glue. I then attached both cardboard pieces with craft glue and weighted the cover flat with some books.



And there you have it! I don't have a clasp for the outside at the moment. I did see one person online who found a decorative headband and used that.

3 comments:

Sydnee Pardee said...

Super cute and crafty <3 it!

Chasing bugs to the Max said...

I love it! I really want one too! You will have to help me make one next time you come over.

leeni1176 said...

GREAT idea !!!!! Looks wonderful