Monday, March 05, 2012

Growing

I am determined to have a wonderful produce garden this year. I am sure the reason I have not before is because I did not take the time to plant my seeds inside as starts first. Previously I put them straight into the ground much too late in the season. I am actually following directions this time! There are more I didn't picture here. I really don't have room for these in my small house but I figure a little annoyance for a few months is worth delicious produce later.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Awesome! We started seeds just a bit ago ourselves. We share the same micro climate so we should swap notes on outcomes. Here's what's helped me in the past:

If you don't like keeping your thermostat at 72 and you have a waterproof heating pad, try tucking it under the seed tray for an hour once/twice a day. Heat loving plants like tomatoes and peppers like 70-85F to sprout. Once they're up, you don't need it anymore. It's way cheaper than the expensive gardening heat mats.

Another cool trick if you're out of room, is to place large seeds like peas, beans, and corn in a bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. As soon as you see the primary root gently plant outside. These plants usually need to be direct sown anyway, but in our cool climate it can take weeks for nature to do it on its own.